- User Since
- Apr 15 2017, 7:18 PM (69 w, 3 d)
OK, so that will have the effect of turning translucency off in Plasma 5.14 for the 95+% of people who don't manually turn the effect off or fiddle with its settings. I'm okay with this, but I want to make sure everyone else is too before we do that.
Thanks for doing all the work. :p
- otherwise, if there is Effect-kwin4_effect_translucency config group, set kwin4_effect_translucencyEnabled=true.
Do we have any documentation for these? I've never written one before.
I think the point is that people who do like this effect and benefit in some way from its characteristics can register that preference by turning it on. Nobody is proposing getting rid of it, just that it isn't really an appropriate default for most people.
Looks like I don't have commit rights:
Address review comments
None here! Looks great.
I hope it's not nitpicking too much but could we have a screenshot taken with Spectacle's Active Window mode so that we get the window shadow and it matches all the other images in the announcement? Also if you can open just the email in a separate window, that would make for a better screenshot as well as inherently preserve more of your privacy.
Thanks, anything is better than nothing! :) Any chance we could get a full app window screenshot so the context is a bit clearer?
Ah, I'm sorry. I'm getting my patches confused. The PC2 TextField's bug is that it doesn't show placeholder text properly with light themes when software rendering isn't being used. I'm open to other ways of fixing that.
To back up a bit, the issue is that we currently have no TextField with has the following characteristics:
- Has built-in functionality for clear and password reveal buttons, so each client doesn't need to re-invent the wheel (PC2 one has this, PC3, QQC1, and QQC2 ones do not)
- Placeholder text looks good with fractional scale factors (PC3 and QQC2 ones have this, PC2 and QQC1 ones do not)
+1 ship it!
So from in-person conversations this week, it seems like we have a few paths forward here:
- Upstream the features we wrote into our PlasmaComponents TextField and then just use that. Downsides: lengthy process, will take forever before we can actually use it here.
- Finally fix the Qt bug that prevents QQC1 and PC2 components with text from working properly. Downsides: we already tried this and accidentally made it worse. Seems tricky.
- Work around the text rendering issue in the QQC1 style as well so that all QQC1 and PC2 components with text look fine with no other modifications. Downsides: maybe none? Am I not seeing them? @davidedmundson?
This announcement is looking more professional all the time. Kudos to all who have contributed here.
Remove reference to "in a separate window", since that's not true
Works well for me, FWIW. But I seem to remember that that the original patch had some logic specifically to enable this behavior that we're now trying to turn off... can we now simplify all that?
Unify wording for two sections
Remove "Check Spelling..." since its title alone isn't enoughh information to determine whether it meets the criteria; implementation detauls could make it go either way
The text needs to start with a verb and end with an ellipsis, E.g. "Configure Display Settings..." or even "Configure Displays..."
Do we have to add an option right now from the get-go? I have a hard time imagining that anyone will complain, since (and correct me if I'm wrong) the side buttons currently do nothing in Konsole. Can we wait to add an option until we get a Bugzilla tickets with complaints?
We discussed this in the VDG BoF today in Akademy and the idea as originally articulated here did not prove to be very popular. Arguments against it includes the following:
- We already have a more general way to switch between alternatives, even if it's not as polished or discoverable as it should be
- Kicker, Kickoff, and Application Dashboard are not fungible; they target different use cases, so it doesn't make sense to make one easily able to morph into another
- Since people don't switch launchers frequently (or ever), it doesn't make sense to put a button right there visible in the main UI to do it
Thanks! Just so you know, the work in this patch moved to D10455: Add RTL support for search, copy & paste in pdf.
Mon, Aug 13
Dangit, git. Let's try again: D14810: Improve Widgets' removal and configure text
Thanks so much, guys! So much improvement in so little time. It's very impressive.
Make the text consistent
Can you commit this yourself, @gassaf?
Thanks for your patience here, @nerdopolist.
I'm okay with this patch as a first step, FWIW.
Yep, I can see it! Sorry for taking so long on this.
Tested this out and it works flawlessly for Firefox, Lollypop, and GIMP (to the extent that GIMP does support HiDPI) with the integer scale factor use case as long as the Font DPI settings haven't been monkeyed with. But that would be a separate issue, since they are known to conflict.
Very nice improvement. Seems to work perfectly in my testing. I have a string change request below:
I'm doing all my testing in a KDE Neon VM, FWIW. Would you be able to set that one up and try it there to see if you can reproduce it?
Great, glad to see you again! Let us know if we can help.
Thanks so much!
Here's an image for Dolphin of the redesigned settings window:
+1, will do.
Yes, I used the latest version of the patch. My comments are still:
- With folders interspersed within the files: big improvement
- With folders first:
- Small number of sub-folders: big improvement
- Medium number of sub-folders: a wash
- Enough sub-folders so that you need to scroll to see any files: regression since it seems for a moment that nothing's happening
This works for me, FWIW. I've bee running with it for several days. Haven't found any regressions yet with other use cases.
Just gave this a try on my pictures folder, with "Folders first" turned on (it's the default setting). Observations:
- In a folder with a small number of sub-folders and a large number of images, it's nicer, since the fime thumbnails show up faster
- In a folder with a medium number of sub-folders, it's tiny bit odd but mostly fine.
- In a folder with a large number of sub-folders (more than will fit on the screen at once), it's very odd since it looks like nothing it happening for a few moments.
Is this about generating the thumbnails for the first time or displaying them?
Sun, Aug 12
Thanks for the patch, Sven!
Are you waiting for another review before landing this?
Sat, Aug 11
What branch did you make this patch against? It doesn't apply for me against master:
Sorry, I'm with Kai on this, aspecially because one of the proposed new shortcuts conflicts with an existing shortcut that it's possible to use here.
Fri, Aug 10
+1 for me. I don't see anything wrong with depending on an LTS Qt version. Distros that are still shipping very old versions of Qt aren't going to be shipping bleeding-edge versions of Gwenview--or KDE Applications more generally.
- BUG 386391
+1, nice refactoring. I approve of the code changes, and the user-facing behavior isn't impacted.
+1 conceptually, as this seems relevant to the privacy initiative as well.
Wed, Aug 8
@broulik? Is it ready to land?
Thanks for the ping, sometimes things get lost when everyone's busy!