We would want to increase the number of projects working within KDE. This task aims to lay out which existing projects we should approach to try and convince them to join our community. This would help us increase our portfolio and app catalogue, making our platform more attractive to users (= a larger catalogue of apps to install and use) and contributors (= a larger variety of projects to chose to work on). The community would grow with members of already active projects, thus increasing our reach with every project added. One would expect it would make KDE more attractive to a wider variety of sponsors.
The projects that joined us would be able to increase number of contributors (developers, artists, translators) working on their product, increasing the bus factor. They would be able to take advantage of KDE's infrastructure and services (like Promo), while at the same time increasing the probability of obtaining sponsorship and funding. Finally they would be working with like-minded colleagues and in less of a vacuum.
We will approach the main developers of the project, preferably through a common acquaintance, and pitch our offer. To ensure we can accommodate the project, we will work with the onboarding project (T7116) members so we are ready to accept mature projects into the fold.
Projects that overlap in functionality and/or aim of working projects already within the KDE community.
- Project is name of the project linked to the project's page
- Project Contact is name and email (or similar) of the person we are talking to within the project
- KDE Contact is the person that is conducting the communication on behalf of KDE
- State of Play is the point the negotiations are at, eg.: "Not contacted", "Email sent", "Talking with contact", "Contact sent message to mailing list", etc.
- Incubated shows whether the process has been successful or not. A "Yes" in this column indicates the project has become part of KDE. A "No" that the process was not successful.
- More info is for any other important information you think you can share with the other task participants.
|Project||Project Contact||KDE Contact||State of play||Incubated||More info|
|Scribus||a-l-e, jluc, jghali, MrB at #scribus||@thiagosueto @ognarb @jriddell||Contacted||Considering move after Gitlab adoption, not yet confirmed|
|Qtractor||Rui Nuno Capela||Not contacted|
|Qjackctl||Rui Nuno Capela||Not contacted|
|KiCAD||Wayne Stambaugh (Project Leader) stambaughw[at]gmail-dot-com||Not contacted|
|MedInria||Not contacted||Last update 2 years ago|
|Exiv2||piponazo D4N||@ognarb @cgilles @jriddell||Contacted||https://github.com/Exiv2/exiv2/issues/1036|
|BasKet||@veggero||Contacted, no reply||https://cgit.kde.org/basket.git||@veggero is trying to incubate Basket|
|Pulse Effects||Not contacted|
|OBS Studio||Not contacted|
|Event Calendar||@Zren||Not contacted|
Add you ideas, comments or suggestions for projects to contact (and preferably a way to contact them) in the comments below.