KDE as a brand is not very well-known outside the FLOSS community. This makes it difficult for new applications developed within KDE become accepted by a wider audience. A recognised and familiar brand associated with other useful and attractive products would make it easier for users to decide to accept new KDE applications.
There are already some KDE applications that have made breakthroughs in being adopted beyond our immediate community. We could use these popular applications as ambassadors for the KDE brand, asking them to include the KDE name, logo and link on their sites in prominent position, on the apps themselves, in presentations the project contributors give at events, and so on.
Projects under the KDE umbrella produce high quality applications. Many of these apps are becoming more and more popular even outside our community and can act as a potential gateway to other KDE software, more support and contributors, and FLOSS in general. By helping reinforce the KDE brand, they help other KDE projects which, in turn, can help them back. A strong, recognisable brand helps ease the adoption on behalf of wider audience for all projects and can help attract sponsorship and donations to KDE, which helps everybody.
- Agree on and lay out a series of recommendations for
- apps (KDE logo on splash screens?)
- ... (please suggest more ideas in comments)
- Contact projects
- Krita @scottpetrovic who does web and UI for Krita, has answered in this thread and has kindly agreed to discuss branding solutions.
- Kdenlive Talked to Jean Batptiste from Kdenlive and they will be joining the discussion shortly
- digiKam @cgilles should be responsible for that
- Falkon @drosca is here on behalf of Falkon. Thank you for joining in the debate. Falkon now includes the "Made by KDE" branding badge in their site. Thanks!
- KDE PIM Branding included in KDE PIM's new wesbite. Thanks @dvratil!
- ... (please suggest more projects we should contact in comments)
- Get feedback from projects
- Turn into official policy and put it on the wiki
- Advise projects on how to implement the policy
The end game of this task is to reach a consensus that helps us improve the visibility of the KDE brand and turn what we come up with into a series of guidelines other projects can use. What we decide on here will go into a document on the wiki so others can follow it and we end up having a homogeneous way of showing the KDE brand.