This patch improves the plasma-workspace-wallpapers package by offering cleaner, more modern photographic wallpapers. It also reintroduces the legacy wallpaper Elarun.
- Group Reviewers
- Maniphest Tasks
- T10269: Improve wallpapers
T10220: Improve the default selection of photographic wallpapers
Lovely. Good call including all size and aspect ratio variants for now in case we don't opt to go with D18005: Include only the largest size for each wallpaper.
Dare I ask how big all of this on disk? You can find out with du -ch /usr/share/wallpapers/ | grep total
My only worry is that if the size is too huge, distros won't want to ship it by default and the whole exercise will have been fairly pointless. :(
Ah we only ship the biggest size for our additions now. It's the only thing that makes sense for this package IMO, among other things distros will really think twice about shipping it if it's big, like you said.
Heck, if someone asked me if they could put 100-200 MiB of wallpapers on my disk I'd probably make a sour face!
Without D18005 size is at 138 MiB. You remove all the extra sizes for the added Plasma wallpapers and it drops to about 70 MiB.
Here's some raw numbers listed:
- plasma-workspace-wallpapers prior to D17780: about 42 MB
- plasma-workspace-wallpapers after D17780: about 152 MB
- plasma-workspace-wallpapers after this diff: about 138 MB
- plasma-workspace-wallpapers after this diff + D18005: about 70 MB
Main competitors' package sizes:
- Deepin: 26 MB (main) + 16 MB (community) + 8 MB (private) = 50 MB
- GNOME: 31 MB
- Elementary: 35 MB
All three ship only the largest wallpaper size.
Note: scaling Almond Blossom and Two Labrador Retriever Puppies made no sense, these pics have great compression & turned out bigger when shrunk.
As a further step I suggest to remove the yellow tulips (Blooming Flowers) wallpaper because we have enough flowers. That wallpaper is also somewhat busy in the bottom part.
(and we should push more on distros to have this installed by default
Indeed! Manjaro already does. See also:
- T10219: Ship the plasma-workspace-wallpapers package by default in Neon
- T10218: Ship the plasma-workspace-wallpapers package by default in Kubuntu
I agree, and this is a concern. We're trying to solve that in D18005: Include only the largest size for each wallpaper. Would you mind offering a technical perspective there to make sure we're on the right track?