During Akademy2018, I had the opportunity to discuss with several people, both newcomers and some old timers, about the Get Involved page. I've also had a long chat with Carlos Soriano from GNOME, who demonstrated their Get Involved page on which they have been working on for the last 2-3 years.
A common theme that emerged from these discussions is that we can do more in our landing page for people looking for ways to contribute to KDE. Our current page has already received an important rework as part of the Streamlined Onboarding goal, but there is always room for further improvements.
Here's some of the ideas that came up:
- We need to have a centralize place where newcomers can quickly find updated details on important aspects of the projects they can work on, especially when we are discussing about code. Keep this page short and to the point (include: name, page, contact info, coding language and tools used, easiness/complexity for newcomers).
- Especially for Coding, there should be some way to list projects by coding language/tools and complexity.
- Adding a "feedbackers" and "organizers" section for people that can help in those areas.
- Having a clear path of involvement demonstrated on the page and an indicator letting you know at what step you are.
- Having a "Contact us if you still don't know where you fit, we can help you figure it out" button that would direct people to the Welcome Team- T8712.
So I've started this task so we can further discuss on this and come up with other ideas and propose a new design. Hopefully someone willing to put the effort to develop this new website.