Let's clean up products and components in Bugzilla.
I'd also like to see categories for enter_bug.cgi and describecomponents.cgi as Mozilla has. For that, we should probably wait until Bugzilla Harmony lands. I've reached out to Dylan Hardison who is in charge of that, to see how things are going with that project.
List of Issues:
- Product capitalization inconsistencies
- Product naming inconsistencies
- https://bugs.kde.org/describecomponents.cgi?product=Active which is really Plasma Mobile
- https://bugs.kde.org/describecomponents.cgi?product=blinken Sometimes use the repo name such as blinken
- https://bugs.kde.org/describecomponents.cgi?product=frameworks-kdewebkit or have a prefix
- Product organization inconsistencies
- https://bugs.kde.org/describecomponents.cgi?product=plasmashell has Breeze Theme component
- https://bugs.kde.org/describecomponents.cgi?product=Breeze but there is a Breeze product
- Some KCMs are listed under systemsettings | <component>, but others are listed under <product> | KCM
- Multiple products
- No logical grouping of products on the main product list page: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=238608
The following will be brought forth as discussion points and recommendations for the community mailing lists, this task is not designed to be the sole decider on all of these.
- Decide on product naming standard
- Decide on capitalization standard
- Decide on product/component relationship standard
- Determine products/components that can be merged
- Decide on categorization of products for the upcoming UI improvements (Frameworks vs. KDE Applications vs. Games, etc.)
- Write up better product descriptions for all products
- Write up better component descriptions for all products
@davidedmundson mentioned in the kde-community email thread the following:
For existing stuff there's a problem that bugzilla names are hardcoded into apps.
There's kdepackages.h in frameworks that provides a list of all products so that help->report bug works and there's data that drkonqi uses. All done by string not product ID.
Renaming any referenced here is we can't do.
Which @bcooksley followed up with:
While Dr Konqi goes via a different route, if it's only the destination of Help -> Report Bug we want to change then that is fully doable if memory serves. We can do that as Help -> Report Bug actually hits a very legacy URL which Bugzilla hasn't supported for a very long time.
The only thing keeping it working are some redirectors on the bugs.kde.org side. (See https://cgit.kde.org/websites/bugs-kde-org.git/tree/wizard.cgi?h=kde-5.0 for more information)
We'll need to investigate that further, both Help -> Report Bug, and Dr. Konqi, to determine restrictions.