This is the result of my work in the branch homescreen-ng. The goal was to replace the home screen to solve KTouch's most egrigous problem: content discovery. Currently KTouch displays only the course for the the currently active keyboard layout. If KTouch has no course for this layout, the windows is basically empty showing only the option to create a new custom lesson. Being forced to set up first the correct keyboad layout for you computer has proven to be unintuitive. The new home screen shows all available training content at a glance:
(Please ignore the duplicate entries in the sidebar, this is a data issue on my system. With the data KTouch bundles each keyboad layout is only visible once)
Improvements in more detail:
- There is a new sidebar allowing the user to select from all available keyboard layouts with their associated courses. Users still have to set up the correct layout matching the selected course, though, and they are told how to do so with an passive notification. (BUG 395264, BUG 385425)
- Training statistics are now available from the home screen for each lesson. Previously they have been only shown on the score screen after completing a lesson. (BUG 401359)
- The lesson selector has been redesign to show previews of each lesson as selectable items in a grid view.
- Tab focus works now as expected and allows training without using the mouse ever. (BUG 316058)
- Support for HiDPI rendering has been added.
- KTouch now uses Qt Quick Controls 2 instead of version 1.
Sorry for the big diff. It might be easier to review the commit history.
I have thouroughly tested my changes and there a no issues I am currently aware of.
If anythings crops up, there still plenty of time to fix bugs until the next KDE Apps release.