We want to make Krita support working on HDR images using HDR displays, instead of using tonemapping through OpenColorIO.
The following parts are needed:
• Make Krita’s canvas display an HDR image tonemapped to the range available to the HDR screens.(1000, 600 and 400 nits)
• For an HDR image it should possible to edit it tonemapped on an SDR screen without unreasonable clipping of the range.
• Improve tools that might not work well with HDR if tonemapping is not present:
◦ At least one color selector should have the ability to select color at any luminance step in the HDR-10 supported range of 0-10000 nits, or more specifically the PQ (EOTF 2084) values 0-1023. The color selector should display the colors as HDR not SDR. See https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=343531 , https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=344143
◦ Gradients need to be calculated in HDR mode and have the HDR color range
◦ filters should support either support HDR mode or be disabled when editing HDR content
• Simplify integration of Krita to FFMPEG to support seamless HW accelerated HEVC 10bit encoding when creating HDR10 animations in KBL platforms
• Add BT.2020 color gamut support and SMPTE 2084 for luminance storage and rendering
• Add/improve support for HDR file formats both using uncompressed (or lossless) high quality formats, and also compressed formats suitable for the web and emailing. OpenEXR, TIFF (more?). If possible also add AV1, JPEG XT, JPEG 2000, Extended JPEG or JPEG-HDR and Extended PNG