- Group Reviewers
- R119:d75a37b58992: [Folder View] make file context menu consistent with Dolphin's
It matches Dolphin:
Hmm, I prefer the Dolphin one for the following reasons:
- Having the the "open with" item near the top makes sense because it's likely the most commonly used item
- Having the "open" items grouped together makes sense, since they're both similar actions, and all other platforms I'm familiar with have their context menu's "open" items on the top too
- The greater use of separators is an asset, not a drawback: separators provide structure and help the mind distinguish between logical groups. In particular having cut/copy/paste separated from other items makes sense.
- The current FV menu has bugs:
- The top item is Open, but it uses an inappropriate icon and is duplicated by another superior Open with [app name] item buried in the middle of the context menu.
- It doesn't show the Paste item unless there's something to paste. This is a HIG violation; we don't recommend modifying the visibility of inapplicable menu items; instead they should be disabled.
- The Properties item doesn't have a keyboard shortcut
But if you're not convinced, perhaps we could ask VDG which of the following they prefer:
Current Folder View menu:
Current Dolphin menu:
+1 to making the menus the same.
To me, the folder view menu is the one with seemingly random dividers, and a lack of dividers. In the dolphin menu, I see a clear progression:
- Open section
- Clipboard section
- options that can affect other programs (missing files due to removal or name change)
- It can be argued that Cut would belong here and I don't think it would be bad if clipboard actions, rename and delete were in the same section.
- Another name for this section could be "File Operations" if the "Copy To" and "Move To" Commands were put here.
- Misc actions
- Better organization might be a good idea, but that's out of scope here
- this option is always kind of special