The current Breeze icon used for the default Network(network-workgroup) is not ideal for several reasons:
- It it not clear what it depicts (I was told it's a server rack, but there's not enough detail to make this apparent)
- Even if the visuals were clear, its iconography (a server rack) is not familiar to people who are not sysadmins
This patch replaces it with folder-network, which yields the following improvements:
- This icon includes the "sideways dotted V" imagery that is used in other contexts (shared folder emblem, Share menu, which teaches the user its meaning
- Many other platforms use circular globe or world iconography for their network icons. Even though this new icon is not a globe or world, it is circular, which helps to re-use some of a user's prior experience on other platforms
- Semantically, folder-network is just a more appropriate icon to use for this than network-workgroup. The item leads to the whole network, not a specific workgroup.