As per https://notes.kde.org/public/plasma-5.14-kickoff this is the discussion on how to implement pinning in the task manager / plasma in general.
Past discussions and feature requests related include
- D12462 & D12463: Add support for icon-only tasks (what browsers call pinned tabs)
- D12969: [Kicker] Only show "Add to Panel (Widget)" When there's no Task Manager
- Application "launchers" for apps you frequently use
- Always-visible icon (systray replacement?) for things like new e-mails
- Management of open windows
Right now there are two ways: there is an application launcher plasmoid and there is task manager, which is split into the "regular" one with a label and the icons only task manager. The feature set differs a bit, as the latter can also be bound to activities (which are going to be abandoned?)
Various requests sparked a discussion, e.g. people wanting the option to not show the text label for some applications to save space whilst still have it always visible.
This ticket is to discuss and hopefully decide which part of plasma should implement what use cases, and how (UX) they are presented to the user.