Smart Home (which I here define as "Home automation combined with a digital assistant") is one of the big things that home appliance and consumer electronics companies are focusing on recently.
Every device, from the fridge to a light bulb, have "smart" variants nowadays.
However, while several FOSS solutions exist in this space, especially the convenient digital assistants are still dominated by proprietary software.
This is a serious threat to our Vision: If people run KDE software on their desktops - and hopefully in the future their phones and tablets - but still have all those devices in their homes which listen to their every word, know all about even their most private habits, and send all that information back home without any user control over it, our efforts have been pretty much for nothing.
That is why the area of home automation and digital assistants are an crucial front on the battle for user privacy and freedom, and I believe KDE could fulfill an important role on that front.
Qt is optimized for embedded systems, and especially with the Mycroft integration in Plasma, we are in a perfect position for becoming the #1 Free Software smart home hub.
There are three main areas where we could provide excellent user interface products:
- Desktop Smart Home hub (Plasma and Applications)
- Mobile control applications
- Embedded UIs (e.g. smart home control panels in the house)
Furthermore, our libraries could be useful in that area as well (Kirigami!).
This would require strong collaboration with projects like Mycroft or openHAB, who have the connections needed to actually get onto devices.
What it will take
- Gather the requirements that such user interfaces would have to fulfill
- See what we can already offer and determine the delta
- Develop what's needed
- Promote our solutions to users as well as hardware vendors
How we know we succeeded
- The majority of users of open / open-standards-compatible Smart Home systems install KDE software on or use KDE software with them
- Smart homes ship our software on their control panels
- Smart home companies recommend users to install KDE software to use with their systems
I am willing to put work into this
- Aditya Mehra - I can work on mycroft integration, developing Qt/Qml user interfaces for different platforms, connecting smart API's and applications