When new single-board computers are released (e.g. the RockChip FireFly, or the SyFive RISC-V, or a new Raspberry Pi) there is an activity called board bring-up which means getting both the low-level bits and the high-level bits running, so that there is an acceptable KDE Plasma experience on that board. Elements of board bring-up are:
- u-boot configuration to find the hardware (with EFI even on ARM this is becoming less involved)
- kernel configuration for whatever devices there are
- KMS & DRM configuration (arguably part of kernel)
- X11 or Wayland configuration
- Plasma performance tuning
This task is a parent to specific board bring-ups that the KDE community is involved with. Specific boards and projects can be added as sub-tasks. That way, we end up with documentation on what is done and what needs to be done to get KDE Plasma running on specific boards, and SBC's in general.