What do you think of something like this?
List of settings dialogs / pages that are known to be in need of redesign:
- Networks and servers (Server List dialog, F2)
- Identities (Identities dialog, F8)
- Configure Konversation dialog
For the latter, it's easier to list what should NOT be redesigned currently:
- Interface -> Chat Window: Too much in flux currently
- Interface -> Nicklist Themes: May be needed later, but currently not certain to be brought back
- Interface -> Tabs -> Look group: Will mostly disappear
- Behavior -> General Behavior -> Nickname completion: Some options will go, some will be added - needs code first
- Notifications -> On Screen Display: Will likely be removed
Everything else needs redesign. Some of it can be combined in new ways, though - for example some of the options in Notifications -> Tabs could wander into a unified Colors config. Some of the more techy poweruser options could also be grouped anew.
Currently, the approach I have in mind for the settings mode is to have the following pages - names not final:
- Look (interfact layout and feature options, perhaps colors here?)
- Chat view (text view options, marker line options, etc.)
- Typing (input bar behavior options, nick completion options and some others)
- Advanced (techy bits)
... and various others as per the above.
Here's a screenshot of settings mode:
One thing I would like to ask for definition is about how you want to interact with the server settings. We have various settings that deal with servers, identity, and channels all in the server settings. Do you want to split them a little so that they can be more focused?
I'm open to different approaches.
One thing that's interesting between networks, servers and identities is the relationships between them. Servers are part of networks, and networks have an identity associated. Maybe we can come up with an interesting visual way to make this associations?