by default, Kubuntu only comes with 1 Virtual Desktop, yet it has shortcuts setup for 4 and it also includes the Desktop Pager widget on the panel by default even though with only 1 it doesn't display anything.
Here are my suggestions:
1. add some desktops for a total to start with of **4 Virtual Desktops**
- I'd also suggest 4 rows to have them aligned in a vertical stack.
- the reason for the stack is to make it easier to navigate the desktops (up and down only)
2. disable the desktop pager from the panel because it's not doing anything anyway by default.
3. Add/replace shortcut for activating the Desktop Grid effect to //**Meta+D**// (unused currently)
- aka Super+D = D for Desktops
4. Edit the Desktop Grid's effect configuration for **Layout Mode** from //Pager// to //**Automatic**//
- this way the keyboard navigation is more simple yet the Desktop Grid looks good by automatically aligning the desktops into a nice grid style.
5. Modify the shortcuts for navigating Virtual Desktops as the current defaults are awkward at best.
1. currently we have //Ctrl+F1-F4// to navigate through Virtual Desktops, that don't exist. I suggest replacing these or adding the following:
1. change these shortcuts to //**Meta+Alt+1-0**// (1 - 10 desktops, should a user want more)
- this allows for easy access and control while also not interfering with the Meta+1-0 of the task manager apps shortcuts
- I also suggest //**adding Meta+Ctrl+1-0**// for moving windows to these desktops. (this is a function of KWin that is unused)
- //**Meta+Alt+Up**// or //**Down**// to easily navigate in a previous / next style movement of desktops
- Alternative would be //Ctrl+Alt+Up// or //Down// as this is used for GNOME as a default and was used for Unity
- //Meta+Ctrl+Up// or //Down// could be another alternative as Meta+Alt+Up or Down does conflict with navigating windows shortcut.
- However, I would suggest changing this because this function is super weird and not very useful so navigating with //**Meta+Alt+Up**// or //**Down**// would be the most logical and ideal solution mixed with Meta+Alt+#s
- this refers to the "Switch to Window Above/Below" function which is not very useful as it repeats the first window you had often
- plus there's also Alt+Tab and Alt+` which everyone would use anyway.
- Another option, though this is an addition rather than a replacement for the others would be to use Super+Tab and Super+Shift+Tab to navigate through virtual desktops. This is currently used for cycling through Activities but lets face it 99% of Plasma users dont use Activities and 95% of them don't even know what they are. It's just a wasted shortcut right now.