"KDE provides the software solutions for privacy friendly consumer devices"
One of goal we have selected for the KDE community in 2017 is "Privacy Software". In my opinion current goal is limited to the software already provided by the KDE community and does not offer a new solutions. During my career in software development I've learned that the consumer devices, mobile phones, smart home, or IoT devices are one of largest offenders to violate user privacy and security. Proposed goal is largely a extension to the goal submitted in 2017.
Every other day there is a new article on HackerNews or Reddit which tells,
- X company was selling the data to the Y company
- X company was using the data to show advertisements
- X company have employees to go through user data for their devices
- X company had their servers hacked, thousands of users data got compromised.
While this type of news are becoming norm over days, we're ignoring much larger problem,consumer devices"
- Users get such devices because they make life easier or increase their productivity.
- Users are not generally aware of the privacy implications of such devices.
- Corporations making such consumer devices get revenue mostly out of selling user-data or through advertisements due to "startup" nature of the business.
- Security review of such projects is never done most of the timeKDE software has never been about just Plasma Desktop, KDE has worked on various solutions like Plasma Mobile, Plasma Media Center, which is tailored towards non-desktop usecases. KDE community also provides the solutions like, Kirigami, KDE Frameworks, making them vulnerable to the attacksPlasma and others.
I propose to solve this problem by taking a lead in creating a software or solutions for such consumer devices which is privacy friendly and respects the user privacProposal is to be more active in offering these solution for consumer devices (non-desktop, electronic devices) and work on solution which fulfil requirement of this industry.
=What it will take=
There are multiple means to achieve this,
- Collaborate with company/- Reach out to various organizations already working on solving this./companies
- Welcome other open-source projects relevant to this under KDE umbrella
- Increase user-awareness of issues with IoT devices.
- Create and Develop a software/services which are privacy friendly alternatives to one already in market.
Plasma Mobile is one of such project KDE community is working on currently which aims to provide the alternative and privacy friendly solution to the Android/iOS etc. I can imagine that we would also provide the software for smart home, voice assistant in future.
=How we know we succeeded=
KDE community becomes one of the most-trusted provider for the open and secure solutions for consumer devices. While these solutions are largely focused on the end-users, I can also imagine that KDE becomes a provider for the such solutions to for use by individuals as well as corporations or vendors.
- https://www.consumersinternational.org/media/154809/iot-principles_v2.pdf - Document explaining some of common problems and possible legal solutions.
(I will add more links bit later)
=I am willing to put work into this=
* Bhushan Shah (@bshah)
* Alexey Minnekhanov (@alexeymin)
* add your name
=I am interested=
* Nate Graham (@ngraham)
* Dimitris Kardarakos (@dkardarakos)
* add your name