The days that Wayland was considered an experimental technology are mostly behind usAs technology and the needs of modern computer users advance X has been proven less and less capable to keep up. Gnome has an identical user experience on wayland compared to X.Problems like serious lack of security, Fedora and RHL have already changed to a wayland session by defaultmonolithic complicated design and even roadblocks to proper implementation of new technologies like touch screens and VR. The benefits we all know them. Security,Wayland has been decided as the future of not only the linux desktop but potentially the smartphone and tablet form factor too.
I propose to make our goal to migrate the core of the plasma desktop and make X server an optional compile and runtime depedency. tear free graphics....
We should implement what functionality is missing and fix the rest of the serious bugs that stops Wayland from being a good user experience not just a functional one.In that way not only we will be giving our users futures that a modern desktop should have like tear free compositing and security by default but it will also pave the way for more advance futures like VR, Make Wayland stand on its owntouchscreen support and more that simply aren't possible with Wayland.
=What it will take=
- Fix major breakage that still occurs
- Implement missing functionality
- Make SDDM run in Wayland
- Start and stop X in every session dynamically based on necessity
=How we know we succeeded=
- More people choosing Wayland, more bug reports for it
- Wayland session is the recommended Default
- X server doesn't have to be installed to run pure Plasma with core applications
Link about full screen compositing benefits including video games:
The Security of Wayland:
Projects and Ideas that directly depend partly or completely on Wayland migration:
Red hat main developer of X server to stop supporting it:
=I am willing to put work into this=
- @fbampaloukas (testing, discussing)
- Méven Car (@meven) (testing, application fixes)
=I am interested=
- Nate Graham (@ngraham)
- David Edmundson @davidedmundson
- David Strobach (@strobach)
- Alexey Min (@alexeymin)