Our new contributor experience is not as accessible as it could be. Documentation is often out of date, phabricator can be intimidating, bugzilla doesn't offer any guidance on how to file good bugs or direct people to put patches on Phabricator.
As a result, users file a lot of un-actionable bugs that waste our time and frustrate them when they are closed; many enthusiastic and competent programmers don't contribute; and patches on bugzilla frequently languish forever. We should work on guiding new potential contributors.
=What it will take=
 Add project-specific templates to the description field for new Bugzilla bugs that gives users information they need to solve their own issue or provide the information necessary for us to actually triage the bug (see https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=383169)
 Collapse the UNCONFIRMED and CONFIRMED statuses into NEW to avoid confusion
 Change the WONTFIX and INVALID statuses to something a bit softer so that users who have their bugs closed with these statuses don't feel negative emotions toward it and us
 Change the attachments page to notify users that patches should be submitted to Phabricator instead, along with a link to a how-to page
[x] Close for new bugs and hide all unmaintained and obsolete products.
=How we know we succeeded=
- Bugzilla bugs won't have patches in them that fall by the wayside
- The volume of un-actionable bugs will slow dramatically and there will be less back-and-forth between developers and users, freeing up bug-triaging resources and turning them into development resources. Bugs will be more valid, better tracked, and not pile up forever
- More bugs will be accompanies by patches on Phabricator
- We'll get more new contributors submitting patches on Phabricator
- Bugzilla should use a standard template: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=383169
- KDE Bugzilla should use resolution statuses little softer than INVALID and WONTFIX: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=383753
=I am willing to put work into this=
* Nate Graham (@ngraham) (writing and deploying documentation and the new Bugzilla template and statuses)
* Andrew Crouthamel (@acrouthamel)
=I am interested=
* Gregor Mi (@gregormi)
* Hopefully other people