Collaboration Initiative with Other Distro - Meeting Fri 17th Nov 21:00 UTC
Open, Needs TriagePublic

Description

The purpose of this meeting is to prepare a plan and vision for collaboration with other distros and projects with a view to finding some joint working projects

Discussion points

  • Distros we can / want to work with ( Lubuntu, Budgie, Neon, Mint, etc.. )
  • Projects we could work on ( Calamares, Update Notifier )
  • Who do we contact, and how do we contact them ?

Action

  • Preparing a proposal with which we can approach these distros

The meeting will take place in The Kubuntu BBB Conference Room

Room : Kubuntu Room - 1
Password : welcome

Please add your thoughts in the comments

Collaborative discussion with other distro's about patching KDE to enable Distro Specific Support and website Links on the Help Menu

mparillo added a comment.EditedOct 14 2017, 11:18 AM

My top two (in order):

  1. Lubuntu-Next (LXQt): Simon
  2. Mint KDE spin: Clem
rikmills added a comment.EditedNov 17 2017, 4:26 PM

Lubuntu/Budgie/Neon

  • Maybe aim for Calamares installer after 18.04, and in the meantime overhaul the KDE/Qt fromt end for ubiquity.
  • For 18.04, possible port of update notifier/manager to Qt5 - distribution upgrades needed most of all, and in particular notification of new releases available. (Neon will also want an upgrade mechanism -> 18.04, so maybe another arm of collaboration).
  • Redesign and better looking driver manager front end - Something else Neon have started looking at with Ken from KDE VDG.

Mint - discontinuing KDE, so really only maintenance collaboration there.

KDE - Talking more with the VDG to maybe develop a look and feel for Kubuntu that is distinctive, but still true to KDE design goals/values might be possible.

zimmerman updated the task description. (Show Details)Nov 17 2017, 9:16 PM

Budgie seems interesting -- anybody have some names of folks we should start chatting with?

Budgie seems interesting -- anybody have some names of folks we should start chatting with?

Dustin Krysak is a cool guy

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/kubuntu-aardvark.html

https://osseu17.sched.com/speaker/ljigor

Reasoned criticism is necessary -- and this fellow can help us make the LTS great.

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/kubuntu-aardvark.html

https://osseu17.sched.com/speaker/ljigor

Reasoned criticism is necessary -- and this fellow can help us make the LTS great.

Yeah, I've been working on fixing all the issues brought up in every review of KDE software he writes. One initiative that just bore fruit this morning was getting VLC to work properly with videos located on password-protected Samba shares accessed from Dolphin: https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/18993

I've spoken to Igor in the past about getting more involved in KDE, and he seemed at least somewhat interested.