Go back to saving to sddm.conf
AbandonedPublic

Authored by filipf on Thu, Feb 13, 10:45 AM.

Details

Reviewers
davidedmundson
Group Reviewers
Plasma
Summary

The SDDM KCM is broken right now because the kde_settings.conf file is never created with the right permissions. This means that the KCM can't read the settings file.

I've tried several things to fix it but have unfortunately failed. So that leaves me with reverting the change to save to kde_settings.conf and with going back to saving to sddm.conf.

This is also revelant to user-manager since it can't read SDDM's file either.

BUG: 414396
CC-BUG: 342722
FIXED-IN: 5.18.1

Test Plan

The KCM can read stored settings again.

Diff Detail

Repository
R123 SDDM Configuration Panel (KCM)
Branch
revert-new-save-location (branched from master)
Lint
No Linters Available
Unit
No Unit Test Coverage
Build Status
Buildable 22425
Build 22443: arc lint + arc unit
filipf created this revision.Thu, Feb 13, 10:45 AM
Restricted Application added a project: Plasma. · View Herald TranscriptThu, Feb 13, 10:45 AM
Restricted Application added a subscriber: plasma-devel. · View Herald Transcript
filipf requested review of this revision.Thu, Feb 13, 10:45 AM
filipf edited the test plan for this revision. (Show Details)Thu, Feb 13, 10:46 AM
filipf added reviewers: davidedmundson, Plasma.

Maybe @davidedmundson can help you fix it so we don't need to revert stuff?

The SDDM KCM is broken right now because the kde_settings.conf file is never created with the right permissions. This means that the KCM can't read the settings file.

that doesn't match the bug report.

The bug report shows it does have the right permissions. I'm not quite sure what he is trying to say the bug is.

The SDDM KCM is broken right now because the kde_settings.conf file is never created with the right permissions. This means that the KCM can't read the settings file.

that doesn't match the bug report.

The bug report shows it does have the right permissions. I'm not quite sure what he is trying to say the bug is.

The bug report is a bit all over the place, and it started out as something different so disregard most of the posts there.

I've been at this for some time and the core issue is that kde_settings.conf is not world-readable like sddm.conf is. The settings are being written but only SDDM can read them, no one else.

By all accounts the openConfig variable in sddmauthelper.cpp should set kde_settings.conf's permissions like it does for sddm.conf.

I can get it to make kde_settings.conf world-readable if I remove the !file.exists check but what's mind-boggling is this still doesn't work when advancedconfig.cpp i.e. the Advanced tab is in charge of generating kde_settings.conf so even adding some code that would set the correct permissions if it detects wrong one wouldn't solve the issue 100%.

I've also tried defining kde_settings.conf in config.h and CMake but that didn't help.

filipf abandoned this revision.Thu, Feb 13, 11:49 PM

Thanks to @davidedmundson's input we found out the cause, so fixed in: D27388